Friday, April 25, 2008

Wheelchair Challenges


Wheelchair challenges ... Not sure how to proceed?


Tenant is in a wheelchair. She clears all the screening. We are a go. I call MS society as this is who is helping her with modifications to the dwelling 2 days before she moves in. Have a long talk with the rep for the county.
Assist bars will need to be put in by a licensed contractor and paid for by the the tenant and the MS society. Ramp needs to be installed in the front transforming the 2 steps into one ramp. I have final say so on who
works on the projects.

This is all comfirmed. I had already discussed the details with the tenant.



I ask do these changes need to be made before the tenant is in house?


Answer is no. She chose this property. She needs to make this happen.


She also tells me that the tenant cannot request any un-reasonalbe
modifications for her disabilities.


Assist bars in the bath room is reasonable.


Widening the door way isn't a reasonable request. It's unreasonable.


So I'm good to go. Sign docs do the whole move in process last friday at 3pm. She has to move out of her old unit and into mine. She packs on Saturday. Moves on Sunday and Monday. Tuesday & wednesday she is
settling in. We will talk about assist bars and ramp later in the week. I talk with her today, Thursday.



OF course she can't get her chair in the bathroom. Can't make the turn. Bathroom door needs to be taken off and the door widened.


Now what do I do Ollie? Another fine mess...



I did have an Idea though. In the kitchen I would have to check it out. I think a doorway could be cut in that wall so she could roll into the bathroom at a straight shot from the kitchen into the end of the hall and into the bathroom.


If that is possible..... then the question is ... Do I want to do that?


Who would pay for this? I doubt I would have to. I'm not sure though, never done is before. Yes it would have to be done by a licensed contractor.


I also bought some clear plastic door edge protectors to help keep the damage down in the unit.


So from this I learn.... that whenever you are thinking of renting to a wheelchair tenant. You require that they wheel themselves around the unit to see if it will work for them or not? I don't think there are any
problems with asking/requiring this are there?


Info please?

No comments: